4.17.2008

Having a baby

I FEEL weird inviting people for the Baby Shower. To start with, I haven't been to one so I have no idea what happens in baby showers. Secondly, I feel uncomfortable sending my Wish List to people since I somehow feel like I'm asking everyone to shoulder part of our responsilities as parents.

I'm suddenly reminded of how some of my high school classmates responded when another classmate asked us to help her raise P30,000 for her C-section. She was diagnosed with placenta previa and having been left by her boyfriend and no work to bank on, she had to raise the money by herself. She came to me one day and asked me to ask help from our former classmates. Many hesitated to give, though, primarily because they don't find her responsible enough or gracious enough (may bad record daw of not sending "thank you" notes). Some even reasoned out that she had nine months to save up for her delivery, so why ask people to shoulder her C-section expenses.

Having been in an okay job (and with rakets to boot), I somehow feel guilty for not having, say, enough money to buy my unborn son AVENT or PLAYTEX bottles. Okay, that's too sosyal. Make that Farlin na lang. But Farlin we still can afford.

What I'm saying is, having a baby is very expensive. You can never really say how prepared you are unless you're about to have one. Seeing how many jobless people have babies here and there, I used to think that Mike and I would just breeze through this chapter in our lives--we'll have the baby, we'll find a bigger apartment to rent, we'll hire a yaya for the baby, and we'll go back to work.

Pero hindi pala ganun.

A baby will be born without anything to his name. He'll start very dependent on us parents and it is up to us to provide everything that he needs. And when some friends asked me to make a list of the things the baby needs, I was shocked to realize that the list could go on forever. I tried narrowing it down to the essentials since I don't want to include stuff that I think are too preposterous. Still, I had made a long list. A recent trip to SM's baby section even made me more worried. How come everything's being sold at P300++ each? And how come the average price of baby care products is P500?


***
This realization made me truly appreciative of the people who are offering their gifts. I am truly overwhelmed by their generosity. My eyes just tear up everytime I receive an email or a text message saying that they'd like to buy Maru something--from gifts as expensive as a crib or a sterilizer, or something as common but as valuable as a diaper. Or when Mai offered her place for the baby shower, when my cousin Gigi promised to make the best mango desert, or when my mom, brother, and cousin Edwin agreed to shoulder at least four cases of beer and some Tempura Crackers for the guests.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You have no idea how much your gestures of generosity mean to us. Hugs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home